School’s in! Germs out!
Labor Day has come and gone and for many school-aged kids, school is officially back in session. So I have to ask: do you know what’s in your school’s soap? Detergents, toxins, pesticides? Odds are your kid’s school isn’t thinking about what’s in the soap; they’re happy if they can get the kids to wash their hands at all. But that doesn’t mean you have to expose your child to worrisome hand washes, harsh detergents or the tricky toxin of the moment, Triclosan.
Newly released data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) finds that levels of triclosan in humans have increased by 50% since 2004, which is not surprising considering the scare tactics and marketing strategies peddlers of Triclosan-laden hand sanitizer and other products employ. Why is this such a bad thing? Triclosan is shown to alter thyroid function, and other studies have found that due to its extensive use in consumer goods, triclosan and its metabolites are now present in, fish, umbilical cord blood and even human milk.
So if we know it’s bad, then why on earth is there a pesticide in my soap, you ask? Good question! Since washing hands with pure soap naturally kills germs and bacteria, there’s no need for antimicrobial pesticides. Despite that fact, the antimicrobial agent Triclosan is found in liquid hand soaps, toys, teethers, cutting boards, garden hoses, dish gloves, changing tables and more. Triclosan has been found to disrupt hormones and may affect fetal growth and development and growing evidence links it to the rise of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. It also creates a toxic soup that is fatal to fish and sea creatures when it builds up in waterways.
Luckily, one of my favorite companies makes it easy to avoid this toxic chemical with products ranging from soaps to nursing products to bath herbs that are USDA Certified Made With Organic ingredients and rated zero by EWG’s cosmetics database (the safest possible rating!). I’m talking about Earth Mama Angel Baby®, of course! My personal love affair with Earth Mama Angel Baby started about 18 months ago when I needed to find non-toxic, chemical-free products for my daughter, who had severe and ongoing respiratory reactions to chemically-laden products in our home.
One of the many changes my family made during this time was switching to Earth Mama Angel Baby soaps and lotions. Considering all the large-scale and expensive changes we have since made to reduce environmental toxins in our home and improve our family’s overall health (think mattresses, bedding, furniture, cookware, and MANY more), this small change was a no-brainer because Earth Mama Angel Baby’s products are affordable, super effective and smell naturally scrumptious (oh, how I wish I’d known about the Happy Mama Ginger Lime Body Wash during my pregnancy queasies with both kids)! And not only are all of their products free of Triclosan, but phthalates, parabens, 1,4-Dioxane, formaldehyde, and any other toxins as well.
Interested in trying Earth Mama Angel Baby’s Soaps for your family? Mama has generously offered to give a full sized (5.3 fl oz) bottle of your choice of soap to one lucky GreenKidsGuide.com reader, who will get to choose from:
- Calming Lavender Vanilla Calm & Clean Hand to Toe Wash
- Truly unscented Natural Non-Scents Hand to Toe Wash
- Queasy-busting Ginger Lime Happy Mama Hand to Toe Wash
- Gentle Vanilla Sweet orange Angel Baby Shampoo & Body Wash
Here’s how to enter the giveaway: There are 9 different ways to enter! Please complete the following actions and add a separate comment below for each entry once the action is completed. Entries will be accepted thru Midnight PST on September 15, 2011. Winner will be selected via Random.org and notified via email.
Mandatory Entry: Visit Earth Mama Angel Baby and leave a comment below about one reason you’d like to try their products.
Bonus entries: you will get one additional entry in the giveaway
for each action you complete AND post a comment letting me know:
- +5 Entries: The Safe Cosmetics Act of 2011 needs your support! The Safe Cosmetics Act of 2011 (H.R.2359) is designed to give the U.S. Food and Drug Administration authority to ensure that personal care products are free of harmful ingredients and that ingredients are fully disclosed. It’s pretty simple, right? Earth Mama Angel Baby and Green Kids Guide are hoping you’ll use this handy action tool from our friends at the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics to tell your rep to close the loopholes that allow “cancer-causing chemicals in baby shampoo, hormone disruptors in fragrance and lead in lipstick.” Please Use the Action Tool to contact your representative now!
- +1 Entry: Like Earth Mama Angel Baby on Facebook
- +1 Entry: Follow Earth Mama Angel Baby on Twitter
- +1 Entry: Subscribe to Green Kids Guide Blog via email or RSS feed
- +1 Entry: Like Green Kids Guide on Facebook
- +1 Entry: Follow Green Kids Guide on Twitter (@greenkidsguide)
- +1 Entry: Tweet this review + giveaway to your followers
(you may tweet for a +1 entry once per day): School’s in! Germs out! Read @greenkidsguide review of Earth Mama Angel Baby non-toxic soap and enter to win! http://bit.ly/r9La62
- +1 Entry: Vote for Green Kids Guide in Parents best kids health blog
- Soap vs Detergent: What are YOU soaking in? (EarthMamaAngelBaby)
- Just in time for Back to School: Vaccishield Review (GreenKidsGuide.com)
- Triclosan Fact Sheet (beyondpesticides.org)
- FDA Re-Evaluating Triclosan (Safemama.com)
- Back to School with Microban? (TheSmartMama.com)
- Green Moms go Back to School (MindfulMomma.com and TheGreenMomsCarnival)
FTC disclosure: I received a travel sized bottle of each soap for purposes of review and was not otherwise compensated for this post. All opinions expressed are 100% my own.
Full disclosure: I have a business relationship with Earth Mama Angel Baby as my store, Lullaby Organics, sells a small selection Earth Mama Angel Baby products. Additionally, some links in the post above are “affiliate links”, which means that I will receive a small referral fee if you buy Earth Mama Angel Baby products by clicking thu these links. It’s how I am able keep the blog going without subjecting readers to random blog ads. This has in no way influenced my opinion of the products. If I didn’t believe in Earth Mama Angel Baby, I would either tell you that or simply choose not to write about it!
Don’t forget to leave a separate comment below for each entry! Thank you for reading and good luck in the giveaway!